Friday, July 8, 2011

Fourth Weekend

Happy Birthday America!

I love how the entire weekend was spent in holiday fun. Friday night I went to a concert at Memorial Park. I got there late because my friend didn't get off work til late. Which was fine with me, because the only band I knew was playing last, and they actually only sang 1 or 2 songs I actually knew. Cheap Trick: I want you to want me.

So, instead of going there early in the day, and getting heat stroke, I got there while it was cooling off, found friends who got there earlier, and had a fun time. And, the fireworks were excellent. Although, I must say, no, "I'm Proud to Be An American" --4th staple, right? And, the fireworks ended on Katy Perry's "Firework" song. I like the woman, and the song. But really?

Ok, Saturday I hang out with another friend, and the new stadium downtown is having the fireworks after the game. So, after driving around trying to find a place to park, we end up next to my old high school and Creighton dorms, walk up right next to the freeway, and almost immediately the fireworks go off! It was a great view. I have NO idea why no one else was there.
PS, We didn't have musical accompaniment so I sang. It was beautiful. Brielyn never heard anything so grand.

Sunday, I hear booms, and Lexi runs down the stairs. Field Club is having their fireworks, so we run around the house trying to find the best view, but with trees, its not working. So we jump in the car and find a good place to park. Getting out of the parking spot was another story. (Dang Iowegians!)

Dum da da dum! Monday was the 4th! Lexi and I went to a church BBQ, sat with friends, made some new ones. Played some games. Then later on that night we went to our aunt's house and got bitten up as the young cousins lit some more fireworks. Like I told them, "Celebrate the land that you love by blowing a tiny part of it up!"

This was me at the BBQ. We played horse shoes, and this is me celebrating my hole in one. Some boys didn't think I could play in a skirt (such a demanding sport). But like the Scotsmen of old, I played, and I conquered. Then I retired.

No comments: