So, we all now know my camera is old and I need a new one. Today I went off in search of a good deal, so I made a stop at Best Buy. I walked in, not there 20 minutes when I realize I need to do more research on cameras. There I am, walking to my car, not a care in the world. I stop when I get to my car.
There is a HUGE dent in the back, and it only has 1 "H" from its HHR left. I hit the lock button on the car remote. The lights flicker. Yep, this is indeed my car. Nebraska license plates on it. I want to cry.
Luckily, the guy who dented it with his Dodge Dakota left his insurance card on my rear window wiper. As any competant soon-to-be lawyer does, I call my mommy. And I might have cried a little. (if Justin Timberlake can do it while being "Punk'd" then I'm doing it too!) I remember my friend Jenn, when she got her new mini cooper being all mad when she got a door ding. All I could think was, "This is SO much worse!"
Seriously, I drive a crapper of a car for years and no one touches it. I buy a new car and I get a huge dent!
Well, the sequence of events goes like this: On the phone crying to my mom. My mom tells me what to do. I start to pull out of the parking spot to go home and make the calls from the comfort of my bed. I get completely pulled out of the spot and am in the middle of the parking lot when my car completely dies. I try to start it again. Nothing. I cry a little more to my mom. She tells me to call a brother. I call brothers while sitting in the middle of the Best Buy parking lot. People give me stink eyes. I want to yell, "Do you THINK if I could move my car at all I'd be sitting in this position?!"
I get ahold of Carlos and Karly, and Karly later tells me that she noticed my voice sounded weird (crying) and that she only heard me say the words "Car" and "Best Buy," (crying hysterically)and that they better go!
I sit in the parking lot and once again try to start the car. Nothing. I call the insurance people. Give them the information. Off the phone I wait for Carlos and Karly. I think, "hey, no one is helping me. How rude." Then I think, if someone wants to help me I can't roll my windows down, its all electricly wired. Then I realize, so are my locks! And my doors automatically lock when I move my lever out of park. My doors are locked and I can't get out! I'm STUCK! Then I realize I can just lift the lock with my hand. Panic subsides.
Carlos and Karly come. We unsuccessfully try to jump the car. I am still in the middle of the parking lot.
I call the tow truck. He says he'll take about an hour to come. I freeze. I try to take my keys out of the ignition. They wont come out. Apparently, it has something to do with the fact that the electrical wiring is out. (according to tow guy).
I freeze. I decide to sit in Carlos and Karly's car. We wonder how fast you had to be backing out to make that dent. Claim adjustor calls me. Claim adjustor says he has to make sure Brandon-owner and dentor admits guilt. Carlos and Karly tell me to call police in case he tries to deny. I call 911 and ask for Provo Police. They are none to kind about me calling without an emergency. Drew, my claim adjustor calls and says Brandon admits guilt. They pay for everything. I feel relieved. (I'm glad I didn't have to call Brandon and threaten him with litigious behavior).
After waiting well over an hour for tow truck guy, he arrives. He tried calling and asking the exact position my car was in at Best Buy. I confidently tell him, "You wont miss it. It is literally in the middle of the parking lot. Trust me, NO ONE has missed it!" Carlos and Karly are grateful the car is towed so that they stop hearing me make whispered threats to people who drive by my car, (who sees a car blocking the lane of a parking lot and think "I'll go down that way!") or people who stare and point. At least I am no longer sitting in the car. Carlos and Karly take me to dinner. I am eternally grateful.
Now I have to call Enterprise tomorrow so I can get a rental. And then I have to figure out where to park, since I don't have a G-lot sticker on my rental. Carlos says its a rental, park wherever. They aren't going to put a hold on the transcripts of Enterprise. Or, I can send the bill to Brandon should I get a ticket.
I hope they take good care of my Lady Buttons of Camelot. If they don't, I'll have to strip her of her title and just call her Buttons.
3 comments:
since you already have a permit, you can get a temporary permit from the parking office. It's pretty easy. good luck!
I hate that this happened to you but I'm glad you had people to come to the rescue and that Lady Buttons will soon be fixed! Oh and don't worry, I would have cried....and called my mom too!
Best night of my life!
Post a Comment