This week was the PILF Auction. Its for the Public Interest Law Forum, for students that work for free over the summers. Its a way to give them some money to survive. For the week, a silent auction goes on. And then Thursday we have a live auction. I usually go for the free pizza but don't get anything (things can get expensive, and truthfully, I don't want to go to brunch with a professor. And certainly not a specific professor--although it would be interesting to go out with one that will not be named and discuss how I took a male's spot in the law school who needs to support a family while I am just here til I can get married, even though I have "educated [myself] out of a husband") But this year there was a Chi and a haircut on the line. I bid, but as soon as it gets too expensive for me I stop. But then Stacey Nancy and I went in on it together and we win! She gets the Chi, I get the haircut.
Anyways, the silent auction ended today at 4pm. I bid on a pair of pearl earrings and a diffuser. I was outbid on the diffuser, and since I really don't need it, I let it go. But don't worry, I don't leave empty handed. Here's the story. Stacey was in class and had bid on Jazz tickets. She asked me to guard them. So I stood and hovered over them, when I see this.
It is about 3.5 x 1.5 feet, and it was labeled "Italian Painting." They had me at "Italian." As with any purchase I am unsure about, I called my mom to make sure it was ok. For some reason, if my mom is ok with it, I can feel ok with it. (PS. I finally got a new camera, as seen with the photo. I bought it online, and felt a little grown up about buying my own camera. Why? Who knows, especially since I once again had to call my mom before I pushed the "buy" button.)
In any case, it was bid on for $14, so I bid $15. Well, Stacey is let out of class specifically to watch her auction bids. So, I cross the sea of students hovering over their purchases to check on some earrings, and as they call out "30 Seconds!" I tread back to the table with the "Italian painting," and I see Dan Swiss bending over to out bid me!
My competitive nature takes over and I move people out of the way to get to the table. "20 Seconds!" And Dan is going to outbid me. So I use these large hips God gave me, push him over and write directly under his line $17 as he writes $16, and "TIME!"
I buy it. I wonder why I bought it. I carry it back to my carrel. People walk by and see it. Some reassure me it is ok. It is a nice picture. It goes to a good cause. I carry it out to my car. I leave for Karly's birthday dinner. Happy Birthday Sister! (also ps. I had 3 slices of pizza at the auction, and I eat my entire plate at Chili's, and I have cake at Meredith's after. Clearly, my diet is not going to well!)
I go to watch The Office and 30 Rock at a friend's who tivo's it every week. I come home. I go inside my room. I can't not see this massive picture in my room. Why in the world was I possessed to buy it? And now I also feel this huge urge to go to Italy after the bar. Anyone interested in being a traveling companion/ticket purchaser?
3 comments:
It IS a cool Italian picture! I like it!!!
You just reminded me that I never cashed in on what I bought at the auction last year-a round of golf with the next secretary of indian affairs. Is it too late to cash in on that?
I thought you gave that to me brooktynn?
Post a Comment