Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm Cultural

Multi-Cultural

I have always been able to tell you that I am part Omaha, Mexican, Polish and Italian. It might have been easy, since all my grandparents are full-blooded. But it still seems odd to me that some people can’t tell you about their ancestors, or even where they came from.

Recently, I have started watching Who Do You Think You Are?, where celebrities do their genealogy. Some of them are basically movies. Like, Sara Jessica Parker found out one of her ancestors went to California for the Gold Rush, and that another ancestor goes back to Mayflower and was accused as a witch in the Salem Witch Trials. Luckily for her, the court was dissolved before she was found guilty (because who wasn’t found guilty). I smell a movie plot. But it was REAL.

Her husband Matthew Broderick also found out he had ancestors in WWI and the Civil War, where the teaser was that doing his family history led to an answer that a historian needed an answer to. I thought, if his ancestor is in the tomb of the unknown soldier I will say this is all lies! It ended up being the burial plot for the civil war soldier.

Oh, and they travel everywhere. I don’t think it is necessary to travel to different places just to find documents, but it makes it more interesting TV. In any case, people were able to go to Poland, France, Africa, and all over America. If I were on this show, I would need to go to Europe too. And I have ancestors in WWII, I’m sure I’d need to go to other places in Europe too to see those battle sites. Sign me up!

PS. This show is a big commercial for Ancestry.com. Know how biggest loser randomly brings up the need for zip lock bags in order to get skinny? This show constantly brings up Ancestry.com. It fits better, but I swear. One big interesting commercial

4 comments:

honorindians said...

Surprisingly, your mom loves this show.

Meredith said...

haahaa...dad, that does not surprise me!

bmz said...

"Ladies, since you are on the road, I want to show you a great place to get everything you need. Walgreens" Also, every time I go to Subway, I always think of Shea, and want to ask, "can you please remove the inside of the bread from my sandwich!"

mlzendejas said...

Of course I like the show! Although they do make it look easy, and I wonder how long it actually did take them to find the records and how many they had working behind the scenes! I didn't think it was talking up ancestry.com nearly as much as it could have, in fact, I was surprised how much they were NOT using it! And seriously, lots of those records could have been gotten on film at a FHC for $5.50 instead of the cost of the plane ride to whereever! but that wouldn't have made as interesting a show!
@Brooktynn... your comment seems out of place, like you were responding to someone else's blog??? Or maybe it's an inside joke that I just don't get!