Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Best Birthday Gift EVER!

So, about a week ago, the 17th was my birthday. It was a magical day. It started the night before after the football game when my friend Marie produced the huge Costco cupcakes and the team sang to me. And I ate 2 cupcakes worth of frosting, and then felt a little sick.
Here I am looking like a hunch-backed old lady.
Then I woke up to my phone ringing at 7:30am and my mom wishing me happy birthday. (PS, I’m not complaining, but why do we celebrate the person who was given birth to, instead of the woman who gave birth. She did the work here, ours was a passive experience. So, thanks mom! For going thru 39 hours of labor, or however long. I’ve been thinking about that for some time. I still enjoy the party, lets just not get that wrong) Then I hear my phone ring at 8:30 and decide its really time to get up and I get a call and a happy birthday from my sister Brooktynn who just moved to Phoenix with her new husband Ryan. She’s a big cheese lawyer now.
Now, I’m at school and I sit down, when Stacey Nancy Jumps over the carrels to surprise me, as well as give me an early heart attack! Then Another friend, Jenn, came walking down the law school hall towards me with balloons in hand. There were so many that the little Reese’s couldn’t hold it down, and it floated away. She was thinking what would be the most embarrassing present, and she got it. Then she remembered she had to bring it to school…
Later that night I went out to dinner with the family, and not that that wasn’t the best part of the day, but I must say, my most favorite present (using the term loosely) was when Eric gave me a virus via zoo porn (and by virus I mean Computer, not Hepatitis). He loves it when I say that without explaining it, because its not like its regular porn, it ends up sounding like some creepy fetish. But he had an article published in a Law Journal about pornography he wrote for an Internet Decency class. Apparently while cite checking the article, the editors realized that the website he used was no longer active, and he had to find it again. While talking to him, he sent me the link. He refuses to believe that his link gave me a virus, but 2 porn icons on my computer that wouldn’t go away didn’t just show up there on its own! Thanks to my brother in-law Ben, I was able to get the virus out and my computer seems fine now, without having to wipe my computer clean. Thanks Ben. I’m pretty sure BYU was monitoring my computer. I’m just surprised the Honor Code Gestapo didn’t come and confiscate my computer.

PS. While walking to class a few days later, a male classmate was asking why he didn’t get an invite to dinner. I asked him, “Well, are you a brother or sister or a spouse thereof?” To which he replied, “I’m more.” I’m like, really? Did you just propose? And then it dawned on him, oh, it was with the family. Yes.
So, no, I didn’t think he was actually proposing, so NO, Lexi. No driving for you anytime soon.

(This last part reminded me when I was in DC with a summer program, and my male friend Jordan and I were in class, and he wrote me a note saying “I owe You” but the way he wrote it looked like “Love you.” It created an awkward laugh.)

3 comments:

Lexi Zendejas said...

way to crush the dream jordan... crush the dream

Lauren Jayne said...

I believe you forgot to mention the best delayed birthday dinner ever....hmm. Dude I freaking loved it in elementary school getting to walk around all day with balloons. Wait, what am I saying, I loved it in high school too.

Marie Davies Howick said...

Those costco cupcakes were so good. I had like 6 leftover and just kept eating the frosting off the top. Sick, but awesome.