1) Judge: So, he asks, you would be the final say in a trial?
No, it depends on what court you were in, if it were a jury trial, etc, etc, a quick lesson on the court system (really fascinating conversation I know!) And that really, the only court that doesn't get overturned is the Supreme Court (unless they do it themselves...)
2) So he asked about that, "What is a Bailiff?" So I told him, that it was like the police of the court. You swear people in, take care of the jury, take a bullet for the judge... Then he asked, so, what does the clerk do? Take money?
uh, NO. They do the legal research for the judge. The actual law school side of the job...
3) Then he said, so you majored in law? You have a bachelors in Law?
No, I have a Juris Doctor.
what?
A Juris Doctor. Like, I got a degree, then I went to graduate school--law school--for three years and got a doctoral degree. (What, did he think I was some paralegal?)
Well, at that point when he realized I went to law school and was taking the bar...etc, I was thinking that maybe he was confused, that maybe he wasn't a citizen and was not versed in the American system, so I asked,
"Are you from Canada or something?"
The rest of the night went like this.
Boy: No. Why, does everyone already know this information?
Me: Uh...Well, I'm tired, good night. Nice to meet you....(quick getaway)
So, downside: he thinks I got my degree from the University of Pheonix or something and I'm a legal secretary.
Plus side: He didn't say a thing about how I only got into law school because I was a minority and a woman.
1 comment:
Excuse me. I am Canadian AND I understand the legal system. May I remind you of a similar incident I experienced?
(taken from a post last January)
Phlebotomist: So, what do you do for a living?
Me: I'm a law student.
Phlebotomist: Cool. So you're like a lawyer's assistant or something?
Me: No, I'm in law school.
Phlebotomist: So you're going to be a paralegal? That's cool.
Me: No, I'm in school to be a lawyer.
Phlebotomist: Like, real lawyers will let you help them?
Do you think I'd be more successful at avoiding this problem if I started calling it "real lawyer school"?
Post a Comment