Monday, September 5, 2011

Manhattan

My second trip was to see my big broseph! He had to work during the day, so I had to figure out how to amuse myself in New York. It was difficult, but I found a few activities to keep me busy. (In the mornings, I took my time getting ready, and watched episode after episode of 30 Rock. I finished 4 seasons that way. Well worth it, I'd say!)

I got in to NY and Carlos was able to get home at a good time so that when the taxi dropped me off, I could get into his place! I was grateful! Then he gave me a tour of Columbia, which he lived directly across the street from. Then we got dinner and talked.

This is his MBA building at Columbia. We decided that it is Eastern Block meets East Coast. All that's missing is the barbed wire. Very inviting, and you think, I want to study there!
Day 1: Columbia to take a few pictures and Central Park. I had to walk from 116th to 96th because the 1 train going south was closed for some reason. Thinking it wasn't too far, (it looked close on the map!) I walked it, then I spent at least 5 or 6 hours rambling the park. I had never been there on previous NYC trips, so I guess I overdid it. I found nearly every scene filmed in central park (that I could remember). I even had the "Enchanted" songs stuck in my head ALL day.
It was fun, but even though I picked flat leather sandals to wear, they were not the best shoes. I ended up with at least 5 blisters by the end of the day! It didn't help that when I went to look on the map to make sure I was going in the right direction, the maps didn't tell me where north was! I guess I wouldn't have had to walk as far/much if I had the talent of not getting lost.
If only I could have rested in one of their many playgrounds. But, alas, NYC has signs stating that unless you have a child with you, you can't go on the playground. Ageist, I'd say! Sometimes an adult likes to sit on the swings! Also, creepy.
Anyway, I limped back to the 1 train (because I didn't want to figure out the other trains) and got home before my phone died. Between using my phone to get gps and mom calling me on the hour to make sure I wasn't lying in a ditch, the battery didn't last as long as it normally did.
Carlos came home and we got dinner and chatted and watched TV. He showed me the series from England called "Luthor." He said the character Alice reminded him of me. She ended up being a crazed serial killer. Thanks big bro!

And that is it for today. This post is already crazy long.

2 comments:

mlzendejas said...

Hey! YOU WERE WALKING CENTRAL PARK ALONE! Of course I was gonna call and make sure you were ok! That's what mom's do!

sararz said...

um i like how you visited everyone this summer.... but me. can you say lame