Saturday, June 27, 2009

I Never Liked Scales

I once heard that doctors are about the only people who have carte blanche to insult you. For example, "You should lose some weight," or, "That mole looks weird, you should have it checked out."

I mean, who else talks freely to women about their weight expecting not to get injured? (well, I can think of one idiot, but I digress)

Policemen.

On my first day of training the Sergeant had us get on this one scale and (he kindly deducted weight for clothing--I'm thinking of YOU doctor who ADDED weight!) then he told me the prognosis. He told me how much I weighed, exactly how many pounds of fat I was carting around, my BMI and, to make me feel more exposed, even could tell me that I was a little dehydrated, so I should drink more water. Frownsmile.

Well, the point was to see the progress we had from beginning to end. So the last day I was expecting to get weighed and told that all of the pain I was put through made a difference and I would feel better about myself. BUT THEY DIDN'T.

Not that I like being weighed. In fact, I can go years without stepping on a scale and feel good about it. But if you are going to weigh me in the first place, I'd like to make you show me something good.

Well, I've been thinking about this, so last night after the gym I decide to head up to Walmart and buy myself a scale. I lost some weight, but instead of telling me pounds of fat, it tells me a percentage, so I have to pull out a calculator. Apparently I didn't lose much fatage...but then in the morning I weighed myself again, and I lost a couple of pounds, increased my hydration, and went up a percent of fat? This is why I don't trust scales.

No comments: